Terrafugia unveils the latest highlights and safety systems
Woburn, MA – July 17, 2018 —Terrafugia, Inc. announced new features in the Transition production vehicle, a two-seat auto and aircraft, including updates to the interior, safety systems, motor, and flight instrumentation. The latest features and systems will be incorporated and verified in the next test vehicles. The first production vehicles will come to market in 2019.
“Developing this new technology has allowed us to test several different mechanisms and generate process improvements along the way,” said Terrafugia CEO Chris Jaran. “We are at the critical point where we can implement the best design features based on years of flight and drive testing. This will improve function, safety and aesthetics for the optimal flying and driving experience.”
Each individual component is engineered with safety and quality as the objectives behind each design decision. The Transition improvements will include:
- Hybrid-Electric Motor The Transition will now drive in hybrid mode, using a combination of an internal combustion engine and a LiFePO4 (Lithium iron phosphate chemistry) battery – proven to be much safer than other lithium battery chemistries.
- Boost The throttle incorporates a boost feature for a brief burst of extra power while flying.
- Interior The interior is remodeled with upgraded seats, an attractive and intuitive user interface experience, and increased luggage capacity.
- Safety Updated safety systems include: improved seat belts, airbags, and increased visibility with three rearview cameras in drive mode.
- Partners Terrafugia is partnering with state-of-the-art suppliers for avionics and parachutes. Dynon is providing the EFIS (Electrical Flight Information Systems) and BRS is providing a full frame parachute system.
As a unique automotive vehicle and a light sport aircraft, the Transition is built for both aviation and automotive safety to comply with FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration) standards. The new features will enable the Transition to meet all the necessary requirements while optimizing the flight experience for both pilot and passenger.
Learn more about the Transition vehicle at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI July 23-29, and visit Booth D17 in the UAV Tent in Aviation Gateway Park to see the Transition in person.
About Terrafugia, Inc.
Terrafugia, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (Geely Holding), a global automotive group that owns several well-known international automotive brands. Terrafugia was founded in 2006 by five award- winning MIT graduates, with the mission of creating practical flying cars that enable a new dimension of personal freedom. Today, Terrafugia’s team of experienced engineers, designers, certification experts, and business professionals combines aviation and automotive expertise in pursuit of a common vision to disrupt the transportation industry. Terrafugia’s first product, the Transition, will enter the market in 2019. Terrafugia’s next generation concept is the TF-2, a VTOL aircraft for cargo and passenger loads. To learn more please visit, www.terrafugia.com.
781-491-0812 ext. 128